Brother UK Ltd take privacy very seriously and have a strict “Opt in” policy, thus can only use personal information collected which a person has been opted into. We will ensure that all such information is processed fairly and lawfully, in accordance with current UK legislation, including but not limited to the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations 2003 and any subsequent legislation. The following statement sets out our policy regarding the personal information which we collect through the brother.co.uk website (the "Website").
Information we collect
- We collect information upon registration and/or use of the Website. This may include name, address, telephone number, email address and products purchased, together with other information about personal interests or lifestyle. We will not ask for information which is excessive to the relevant business requirements.
- Information is also collected when online forms are completed and submitted (such as product warranty registration forms and product surveys) and whenever individuals email their details.
- We will not collect sensitive personal information without explicit consent.
- We use 'cookies' to collect additional information about visits to the Website.
- A cookie is a text file that a website transfers to the computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who has visited. Cookies only record how long those areas of a website that have been visited.
- This Website uses the following two types of cookies:
- Session Cookies - these are temporary cookies which remain on the computer until leaving the Website and carry information across pages of the Website without having to re-enter information, all the information entered is immediately deleted.
- Persistent Cookies - these remain on the computer after leaving the Website and the information is retained for future usage.
- The website will prompt to ask to accept or decline cookies, this can be done by modifying the settings in the browser. However, in declining and disabling cookies use of all the interactive features of the Website may not be possible.
Information we use
- We use the information collected to provide and personalise our services both on-line and off-line. This may include using information provided for the purposes of administering product warranty services. It may also include dealing with enquiries. We do not use any data for any purpose other than that for which it was submitted.
- Please note in agreeing to the use of Persistent Cookies, these will help us to recognise when BrotherZone Members (members) return to the Website and allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match preferred interests or to avoid showing the same adverts repeatedly. We may use third parties to assist in the monitoring and analysis of encrypted versions of members data.
- As a member, we may use the information for marketing and promotional purposes. For example, this may include providing promotional offers and/or information about products and services. If members would like to opt-out of receiving future marketing and promotional material from us, they can opt out of receiving this information at any time and we will deactivate the BrotherZone account.
- We also undertake marketing development which requires matching the data provided with profiling data from selected third parties, all information is consolidated and access to any individual data encrypted.
- We also use the information in our strategic analysis and our assessment of market trends, and our production and re-ordering levels. In particular, we use Persistent Cookies to help us compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that enable us to understand how users use the Website and to help us improve the structure of the Website. We cannot identify members personally this way.
- The Brother Group operates on a world-wide basis and it may therefore be necessary in relation to each of the various purposes outlined above for us to pass information to other members of the Brother Group or to other third parties who provide assistance in the provision of our services. This may involve transmitting personal information outside the EEA (European Economic Area). All information used this way will be encrypted and members will not be able to be identified personally.
Looking after your information
We take appropriate security measures in relation to the sensitivity of the information which we hold.
- We will not hold information on our systems for any longer than is necessary for us to meet the purpose of holding that information.
- Where we have been made aware that the information that we hold about members is inaccurate or not up to date, we will update that information.
- Members have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about them. Please address any requests to the Corporate Planning Department at the contact address set out below.
- If you have any questions about privacy, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please write to us at:
Corporate Planning Department
Brother UK Limited
or telephone us on 0161 330 6531