We take your privacy very seriously. We have a strict “Opt in” policy and will only use the personal information which we collect about you if you have opted into this. We will ensure that all such information is processed fairly and lawfully, in accordance with current UK legislation and we aim to meet current internet best practice, including but not limited to the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations 2003 and any subsequent legislation. The following statement sets out our policy regarding the personal information which we collect through the brother.co.uk website (the "Website").
Information we collect
- We collect information about you when you register with and/or use the Website. This may include your name, address, telephone number, email address and products which you have purchased, together with some other information about your personal interests or lifestyle we will not ask for information which is excessive to our business requirements.
- Information is also collected when you complete and submit on-line forms (such as product warranty registration forms and product surveys) and whenever you email us your details.
- We will not collect sensitive personal information about you without your explicit consent.
- We use 'cookies' to collect additional information about your visit to the Website.
- A cookie is a text file that a website transfers to your computer's hard disk so that the website can remember who you are. Cookies only record those areas of a website that have been visited by your computer and for how long.
- This Website uses the following two types of cookies:
- Session Cookies - these are temporary cookies which remain on your computer until you leave the Website and allow you to carry information across pages of the Website without having to re-enter information, all the information entered is immediately deleted.
- Persistent Cookies - these remain on your computer after you leave the Website and the information is retained for your future usage.
- You will be asked to accept or decline cookie, this you can do by modifying the setting in your browser. If you would like to do this, please see the help menu of your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features of our Website if cookies are disabled.
Information we use
- We use the information collected to provide and personalize our services both on-line and off-line. This may include using your information for the purposes of administering product warranty services. It may also include dealing with your enquiries. We do not use any data for any purpose other than that for which it was submitted
- Please note if you have agreed to the use of our Persistent Cookies, these will help us to recognise you when you return to the Website and allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly. We may use third parties to assist in the monitoring and analysis of encrypted versions of your data
- Where you have specifically opted-in, we may use the information for marketing and promotional purposes. For example, this may include providing you with promotional offers and/or information about products and services. At the time that we collect your personal information, we will provide you with a specific opportunity to indicate whether you want to receive marketing/promotional offers. If, at any time, you would like to opt-out of receiving future marketing and promotional material from us, you can opt out of receiving this information at any time.
- We also undertake marketing development which requires matching the data you provide us with profiling data from selected third parties, all information is consolidated and access to any individual data encrypted.
- We also use the information in our strategic analysis and our assessment of market trends, and our production and re-ordering levels. In particular, we use our Persistent Cookies to help us compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that enable us to understand how users use the Website and to help us improve the structure of the Website. We cannot identify you personally this way.
- The Brother Group operates on a world-wide basis and it may therefore be necessary in relation to each of the various purposes outlined above for us to pass your information to other members of the Brother Group or to other third parties who provide assistance in the provision of our services to you. This may involve transmitting your personal information outside the EEA (European Economic Area). All information used this way will be encrypted and you will not be able to be identified personally.
Looking after your information
We take appropriate security measures in relation to the sensitivity of the information which we hold on you.
- We will not hold your information on our systems for any longer than is necessary for us to meet the purpose of holding that information.
- Where you have made us aware that the information that we hold about you is inaccurate or not up to date, we will update that information.
- You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. Please address any requests to the Corporate Planning Department at the contact address set out below.
- If you have any questions about privacy, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please write to us at:
Corporate Planning Department
Brother UK Limited
or telephone us on 0161 330 653